Thursday, April 5, 2007

Wow! A week!

Jury Duty
Some of you have been wondering... "Did Cara get eaten alive in the court room? Was it one of those hostage situations where they take a jury member hostage until they are allowed to leave?" No, no, I'm alive and well and looking into a career in law (kind of just kidding on that part). Jury duty was the most interesting thing I had done in a long time. It was entertaining and made a difference to society. So I retract the phone calls I made that were like "man I can't believe this. I've been chosen for jury duty, that sucks." I feel American and proud, and strangely Texan for the duty that I've served.
Adam kept reminding me of the Pauly Shore movie from when people really liked Pauly Shore of the name Jury Duty and kept asked me if I thought it would be like that. I've never seen the movie though... sad.
To make a really long story short, I was an alternate juror in the county criminal court. So essientially I was the 13th member of a 12 man team. I even got the worst seat by the bathrooms in the deliberation room. I also got a special seat in the courtroom all by myself rather than in the box with the 12. But it also meant that chances were that I wouldn't actually have to vote on the fate of the 21 year old man who was on trial before us for aggravated robbery. And in truth I was ultimately useless to the court system, but the whole experience of seeing how evidence is laid out by the prosecution and tossed away by the defense was completely fascinating. At the end, the jury decided the man was guilty as charged and also in an interesting Texas twist, the defendent chose that the jury would decide his sentence and not the judge, so he was sentenced to 25 years in jail.

Books
I spent four hours yesterday organizing our bookshelves. Then I realized how sad that was. Adam always says that books are the one thing he doesn't mind investing in, especially good books. And boy does it show. So I finally got all the piles on the floor up into one of our many bookshelves and then explained to Adam how they are supposed to stay that way. His only complaint was that I didn't leave much room to grow (come on! I got them all off the floor) but I also deep cleaned our whole house as well. There's nothing I like better than taking a shower in a slippery, clean bathtub in a hair free bathroom.

No comments: