Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration

When our last President was originally sworn in I couldn't vote. I wasn't old enough. I voted in the election before this one, and voted again this time around. It doesn't matter who I voted for in each of those. You win some you lose some. I wasn't interested the first go around with W, and felt it didn't matter last time, but today I found myself watching news coverage a large portion of the day. I got caught up in the excitement and possibility for "change." And I also wanted to see what Michelle would wear to each of the festivities.

We discussed the "politics" of today in Bible Study a bit and it made me think about praying for our leadership. I've never really been that into it. I mostly like to concentrate prayer on those I know, but today I was reminded of the importance of praying for our leaders. I also happened to miss the actual inauguration and was interested in finding out how Rick Warren's invocation played out. There'd been a lot of chatter about it all and the possibility of him using *shhhhh* Jesus in his speech.

It was a good prayer, not nearly as contrversial as it could have been. The outcome of my Bible study discussion is that I'd like to remember to pray for our leaders. Whether you voted for this one or not, he deserves our prayers.

So- from Warren's speech comes my prayer for the President and his family:

Give to our new president, Barack Obama, the wisdom to lead us with humility, the courage to lead us with integrity, the compassion to lead us with generosity. Bless and protect him, his family, Vice President Biden, the Cabinet and every one of our freely elected leaders.

No comments: